Patty Pan Squash Stuffed with Basil Orzo
- 2-4 patty pan squash
- Olive oil
- 1 cup orzo, cooked and cooled
- 2 tablespoons whole milk ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons Romano cheese, grated
- 6 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1⁄4 tsp sea salt
- 1⁄8 tsp black pepper
- Heat oven to 400*F.
- Trim stem off squash to create a flat bottom surface. Rub with olive oil then place in baking dish, stem side down. Bake until tender, about 30-60 minutes depending on size of squash. Remove from oven and cool until ready to handle.
- Mix together orzo, cheeses, basil, salt and pepper in bowl.
- Using a small paring knife, but the top off each squash. Gently scrape out the seeds to create a small bowl. Divide orzo filling evenly between squash, return to baking sheet and oven and bake 5-7 minutes longer or until everything is heated through.
This recipe is from Fake Food Free and I made it a very long time ago. It was a big finicky and I ended up with way more filling than squash. It might work well with zucchini boats instead, or larger patty pans, or any other type of summer squash.