- 1 tablespoon butter, plus extra for greasing baking dish
- 6 large leeks, cut into thin half-moons and washed thoroughly
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 eggs
- 3 1⁄3 milk, preferably whole
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 pound grated cheese such as gruyere and parmesan
- 10 ounces cooked ham, diced fine
- Heat oven to 350*F and butter 9 by 12-inch baking dish.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add leeks and season with 1 teaspoon kosher salt and pepper. Saute, stirring, until tender and starting to brown, 10-15 minutes.
- Beat eggs with 1 teaspoon kosher salt and pepper. Whisk in milk.
- In baking dish, layer 1⁄3 grated cheese, 1⁄2 leeks, 1⁄2 ham, 1⁄3 cheese, remaining leeks, and remaining ham. Pour egg mixture into baking dish then top with remaining cheese.
- Bake until just set in the middle, about 55-65 minutes. Let cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
This one is from Smitten Kitchen and, sadly I don’t remember it at all. It’s similar to a frittata but with more milk than my usual ratio.