Charred Pepper Steak Sauce
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 2⁄3 cup tomato puree
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- Char bell pepper under broiler or over burner if you have a gas stovetop. Turn the pepper often to get a good char on all sides. Transfer bell pepper to zip top bag and cool until ready to use.
- Add all remaining ingredients to blender. Cut open pepper and remove seeds, membranes, and stem with fingers or a paring knife. Add pepper, including charred skin, to blender and puree until smooth.
- Transfer sauce to saucepan and simmer gently over low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with steaks or anything else.
This recipe is from Smitten Kitchen and it was great. It’s almost like a ketchup in flavor, but not quite. We’ve had it over steaks and also potatoes, both are tasty.