Crunchy Oven-Fried Fish
- 4 slices white sandwich bread, torn into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1⁄4 cup plus 5 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄4 pounds cod fillet, cut into 4 pieces
- lemon wedges, for serving, if desired
- Heat oven to 350*F.
- Pulse bread, melted butter, 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, and 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper in food processor until bread is coarsely ground, about 10 seconds. Transfer crumbs to rimmed baking sheet and bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool crumbs for 10 minutes. Transfer crumbs to shallow dish and toss with parsley and shallot. Increase oven heat to 425*F.
- Place 1⁄4 cup flour in second shallow dish. Whisk eggs, horseradish, mayonnaise, paprika, cayenne, and 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper in third shallow dish. Add in remaining 5 tablespoons flour and whisk until smooth.
- Spray wire rack with cooking spray and place in rimmed baking sheet. Dry fish with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Dredge fish in flour, then egg mixture, and then bread crumb mixture. Transfer breaded fish to wire rack and repeat with remaining fish pieces.
- Bake fish until it registers 140*F on an instant read thermometer, about 18 to 25 minutes. Transfer to serving dish and serve with lemon.
This recipe is from Cook’s Illustrated and it was tasty enough, but nothing memorable.