Spicy Tuna Cakes
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 10 ounces albacore tuna, drained if canned
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, minced
- 1 1⁄3 cup mashed baked sweet potato (or white potato or mixture)
- zest of 1⁄2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon jalapeño, minced
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oven to 350*F. Grease cups of 12-cup muffin tin (regular size) with 1 tablespoon coconut oil.
- Mix all ingredients together and season with salt and pepper to taste. I used my hands to mix everything up because that’s what works best.
- Scoop 1⁄4 cup of mixture into each muffin cup and press down gently with fingers or the back of a spoon.
- Bake tuna cakes for 25 to 35 minutes, or until they start to come away from the sides of the cups and release easily. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- For serving, heat a small amount of coconut oil in skillet over medium heat and cook 1 minute per side or until the edges get crisp and the cakes are heated through.
This recipe is my first from Nom Nom Paleo. These were amazingly tasty. I made a double batch right away and cooked them up for lunches for a week or so. These would also freeze really well. I can’t wait to make these again.