- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, finely minced
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, minced
- 8 eggs
- 4 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- Heat oil in large, broiler safe, skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sauté 2 to 3 minutes, or until onion is starting to soften but not to brown.
- Add garlic, cook 1 minute or until fragrant. Add tomatoes and thyme. Simmer until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Heat broiler and move oven rack to 5 to 6 inches from element.
- Remove 1/3 of tomato mixture to bowl and spread remaining tomatoes evenly over skillet. Carefully crack 8 eggs on top of tomato mixture then spoon reserved tomato mixture around eggs, being careful not to cover egg yolks.
- Cover skillet with lid and cook 3 minutes or until egg while begins to turn opaque. Remove lid, sprinkle with parmesan cheese, and transfer to broiler. Broil for 1 to 2 minutes or until eggs reach desired doneness and cheese has melted. Serve with chives.
This recipe is from Kalyn’s Kitchen and, for those in the know, it’s super similar to Shakshuka just with a different flavor profile. I really enjoyed this dish and it would go great with toast or probably even in tortillas if that’s your thing. It would probably be super over any other carb like rice, pasta, or roasted potatoes. I love eggs!