- 1 pounds breakfast sausage, casings removed
- 1 tablespoon cooking fat (like coconut oil)
- 1 acorn squash, cut in half and seeds removed
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 eggs
- Heat oven to 375*F. Place acorn squash cut side down on foil-lined baking sheet. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until squash is tender. Remove from oven and cool.
- While squash is cooking, heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and onion and cook, stirring often, until onions are translucent. Add sausage and cook, breaking apart with spoon as it cooks.
- Once sausage is cooked through, reduce heat to low. Carefully scoop out flesh of acorn squash and add to skillet. (If you want to, you can use the squash shells for serving.)
- Mix squash and sausage mixture together.
- In a small skillet, fry eggs in desired manner then serve squash mixture topped with a fried egg.
This recipe is from PaleOMG and it was very tasty! The squash and sausage were tasty together and the fried egg on top was delicious as well. This would make a great breakfast dish, but I served it for dinner.