8 ounces pesto (storebought or homemade)
1/4 cup pine nuts
21 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
8 ounces sundried tomatoes in oil, drained
1/3 cup tomato paste
3/4 cup butter, room temperature
1. Combine pesto and 1/3 cup cream cheese in food processor and process until smooth. Transfer to medium bowl and stir in pine nuts.
2. Combine sundried tomatoes, tomato paste, and 1/3 cup cream cheese in food processor and process until smooth. Transfer to medium bowl.
3. Combine remaining cream cheese and butter in food processor and process until smooth and fluffy. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Spray casserole dish with cooking spray and line with plastic wrap, extending plastic over sides. Spread 3/4 cup cream cheese-butter mixture over bottom of dish. Top with half of tomato mixture then 1/2 cup cream cheese-butter mixture, then half of pesto mixture. Repeat layering with remaining tomato mixture, 1/2 cup cream cheese-butter mixture, then remaining pesto mixture. Top with remaining cream cheese mixture. Cover and chill overnight.
5. To serve, invert torta onto platter and peel off plastic. Serve with crackers or baguette slices.
Note: You can skip the baking dish prep and just serve this out of the casserole dish without inverting onto a platter.
This recipe is from Epicurious. My parents received a similar torta from their neighbors while we were visiting at Christmas and it was delicious! I decided to find something similar and this was delicious. I do think it was a bit heavy on the sundried tomatoes, but that will be an easy enough thing to tweak next time and is just my own preference. This makes a LOT, so be prepared.