1 pound pasta, any shape
1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated or shredded
1 cup heavy cream
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
11 slices thick cut bacon, cut into small pieces
1 small onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2/3 cup frozen peas
1. Cook pasta according to package directions and drain well, reserving two cups of the pasta cooking water.
2. Mix eggs, Parmesan, cream, salt and pepper in small bowl until smooth.
3. Meanwhile, fry bacon in large skillet until just crisp. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels or in sieve set over bowl. Pour off bacon fat from skillet but don’t clean it out. Return pan to medium-low heat and sauté onions until soft. Add garlic and continue cooking until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
4. Place hot pasta in large bowl and slowly pour half of egg mixture on to the hot pasta. Stir pasta while adding egg mixture, it will cook with the heat of the pasta.
5. Add peas, bacon, and onion mixture to the pasta bowl. Pour in remaining egg mixture, stirring the whole time. Add pasta cooking water if necessary to thin out the sauce. Serve with extra Parmesan if desired.
This recipe is from The Pioneer Woman. I’m still looking for that perfect carbonara recipe and, sadly, this is not it. It wasn’t as rich and creamy as I want my carbonara to be. So, while it’s fine, it’s not the best ever. Back to the drawing board!