2 sticks (16 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
5 large eggs, at room temperature
2 cups cake flour
1. Heat oven to 325*F. Butter loaf pan and line bottom with parchment paper or foil.
2. Mix butter and sugar on medium speed with mixer until very light, about 5 minutes. Beat in vanilla. One at a time, beat in three eggs, beating until smooth after each addition.
3. Reduce mixer speed to low and beat in 1/3 flour until fully absorbed. Beat in another egg until smooth, followed by another 1/3 flour. Stop the mixer occasionally to scrape down sides and bottom of bowl with rubber spatula. Repeat with remaining egg and remaining flour.
4. Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth top with spatula.
5. Bake for 75 to 90 minutes, or until cake is done with cracked top, golden brown color, and a toothpick inserted into center emerges dry.
6. Cool cake in pan five minutes, then remove from pan and cool on rack.
This recipe is from Epicurious. Sadly I didn’t get a picture because this was part of my mom’s birthday celebration and it completely slipped my mind. We ate it with berries and whipped cream, even my picky nephew had a piece! It was a teeny bit dry, but I sort of forgot to press start on my timer after setting it so I might have cooked it too long. I won’t know for sure if the dryness is a function of the recipe until I make it again and actually remember to turn the timer on.